Coaches Should Develop Skills in These Seven Areas of Life to Model Success for Their Clients
When you’re coaching someone they usually come to you with something in mind that they want to change for the better. Most likely you do as well! Perhaps you’re helping them because they want to lose weight, develop deeper relationships, or become more self-confident? Every year people make countless resolutions. Yet, sadly, the resolution quickly fades.
Do you think this is due to a lack of willpower? Not at all! We’d like to propose that what is needed is more Skill Power! Rather than treating life in a segmented manner, a more effective way of achieving the results you desire is becoming aware of how the whole body/mind/spirit connection is out of balance. When you develop skills to bring all back into harmony, then you can achieve your goal lastingly and with greater ease and help your coaching clients do the same.
There are seven areas of life that are key to achieving this complete balance. Let’s see what they are, plus ways that you, as a self-actualizing coach, can help your clients nurture each one:
- Balanced self-care.In order to function at peak performance, you naturally need to follow a self-care program that attends to diet, exercise, sleep, social contact, stress management, and avoidance of harmful activities. A spiritually inspired coach can be a good example as you help each client identify what his or her body needs and help them build habits that support them.
- Self-understanding and mindfulness.Humans are complex organisms and, from a scientific perspective, we’re still learning the basics of brain function. As a life coach, you can help your clients learn to pay attention without judgment to their present experience as you assist them in cultivating mindfulness skills.
- Freedom from your past.We have all learned from our experiences what to expect from ourselves, others and life. Some of what you have learned continues to be helpful, while some of it is an ongoing source of pain. As a spiritually inspired life coach, you can help your clients choose what to retain and teach them how to retrain themselves to stay present and at choice in their lives.
- Self-empathy.Most people have never learned to treat themselves with the kindness and patience they have learned to bring to others. As a life coach, you can teach your clients the essential skill of self-empathy, which is deeply related to issues of self-motivation and overall wellbeing.
- Nourishing relationships with others.There are concrete skills for creating more nourishing relationships, including being able to explore difficult topics with others and to resolve conflict. As you model this behavior and mentor your clients, you can teach them skills that lead to emotionally cleaner and more effective relationships.
- An inspiring personal vision and concrete goals.If you don’t know where you want to go, you are unlikely to get there. As you coach your clients, you can help them form an inspiring vision and detailed plans for manifesting that vision.
- A meaningful spiritual life.A meaningful life is lived in relationship to something larger than yourself. As a spiritually inspired life coach, you can support your clients as they investigate and nourish their own personal experience of spirituality.
When you systematically hone specific skills in these seven areas of life, you lessen much of the suffering and discontent that people experience in life. These are the building blocks to cultivate balance and satisfaction in everyday life. When you model this behavior for your clients, they can also achieve outstanding results, which is the most rewarding experience for a life coach If you haven’t done so yet, please download a copy of our free report, “Why Spiritually Inspired Life Coaches have the best job, and how you can too!” and see how you can enhance the skills that bring the greatest happiness and satisfaction.
No one needs to go it alone. There are benefits to having a good map and systematically practicing skills with social support. Find out more: Life in Balance – The Seven Keys.
Related Information on the Seven Keys to a Life in Balance:
Tags: seven areas of life