Your Mind Body Connection – 5 Ways to Reduce Static and Tune In
Are you listening? Often times we’re so busy looking out that when we do tune in, to our inner selves, all we hear is static. However, if you want better health and greater satisfaction in life, you need a deep awareness of your mind body connection. This involves not only identifying physical sensations but also discovering how you feel emotionally about what’s happening at any given time.
Your emotional health, physical health, and spiritual health are intertwined and inseparable. Your emotions are experienced and stored in your body, and they’re manifested through body sensations.
The mind body connection is well described by the concept called embodied cognition. It says every thought or ideal is connected with an emotion, which in turn has a physiological response in your body. For example, if you’re feeling heavy you may be experiencing sadness. Shame feels shrunken and withdrawn. Reflect on how the energy of anger makes you feels hot and stormy, while excitement feels energizing.
Emotions live inside your body, changing your physical experience and causing you to believe and act in particular ways. One moment you’re happy (emotion) on top of the world, so you’re feeling spacious and light in the chest (body sensations). Then something happens to make you feel anxious (emotion). It feels like your world is caving in, your shoulders slump and you feel deflated and dull (body sensations).
Conversely, by changing your physiology you can alleviate these body sensations and alter your emotional experience. For example, if you feel shy and uncertain, you can gain confidence by breathing deeply, softening and straightening your spine, lifting your head and looking at people eye-to-eye. The more you practice this, the more confidence will become your natural state. You can actually reshape your emotions just as surely as you can reshape your body through exercise, thereby creating a harmonious mind body connection.
Neuro-Linguistic Programming can help you tune into your emotions and identify each sensation as you experience it. When you honor the messages that your body is sending you via your feelings, you won’t try to over ride them or dismiss them. Instead you’ll be able to suspend any judgment of them, by becoming an observer of them. In this way you can accept them for what they are without passing judgment upon yourself.
Here are five simple ways to reduce static and tune into how your mind body connection works. Observe what body sensations and emotions manifest as you do each of the following:
- Regular exercise reduces stress, boosts your “feel good” endorphins, enhances your self-confidence, sharpens your thinking ability, grounds you, and inspires your creativity. When you add another dimension to your exercise sessions – an emotional one – you can channel your negative emotions like anxiety into the physical act of exercise and release it. As you move, invite all of your feelings, whether you view them as positive or negative, to come through your movement.
- Improve your posture by sitting or standing in an upright, powerful position because this invites empowering thoughts, whereas slouching invites negative thoughts.
- Eat healthfully for your body type. Everyone has a unique biochemistry which greatly influences brain chemistry and emotional state. What you choose to fuel this system will be determined by your metabolism, blood type, genetic history, and activity level. Of course, we all have basic needs for fresh, nutrient-rich, whole foods. When you eat nourishing food feel how it energizes you. When you eat junk food feel how it makes you sluggish.
- Deep breathing improves your physical health and helps you remain calm under stressful situations. Feel the stress evaporate as you expand your lungs fully with a number of cleansing breaths of air.
- NLP Anchoring allows you to choose your mood or mental state no matter what the circumstances are by psychologically associate a trigger to a emotional response of your choice. When you experience a negative emotion, you can trigger a positive emotion and extinguish the negative one.
The key to controlling your emotions is developing an awareness of exactly WHERE you feel them, HOW they feel in your body, and in WHAT healthy ways you can process them. Neuro-Linguistic Programming can help you become more attuned to what your body and emotions are telling you.
Our NLP trainings are designed to give you the tools you need to create an optimal life. (If you’re reading this in time please come to our special free talk: Choose Life Enhancing Beliefs on Thursday, August 25th. We’ll be meeting with you at 600 Siskiyou, Ashland, Oregon to share how NLP can expand your self-awareness and emotional intelligence as you deepen your mind body connection. Learn more about it by clicking here.)